By: Preschool Teachers
What is art? Art is a creative activity that expresses imaginative or technical skills. Art and creativity are important for children.
Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else.
–Sydney Gurewitz Clemens-
Children are naturally curious. Art is a natural activity to support this free play in children. Art activities are not only fun, but educational as well. In preschool 2 art activities, we explore so many aspects, such as pasting, coloring, drawing, and origami. Origami is the art of paper folding, which is often associated with Japanese culture. Origami is a fantastic art for kids of all ages to get into. This month, PS2 students learn about nature therefore we choose the ocean as our art theme. We make origami sharks, sailboats, also waves then we construct them into 3D models.
Origami has some benefits, such as
- Develop the ability to think and find solutions in turning the paper into a certain form and think of the ways to fold the paper according to those instructions.
- Improve diligence and accuracy that every step in the instructions has been followed so that the folded paper can be formed accordingly.
- Develop the ability to follow the instructions. By following the instructions correctly, naturally, be trained to be able to read pictures/diagrams and follow the instructions to produce an origami.
- Sharpen memory and imagination. Imagination is needed to visualize which shape will be made. After successfully creating the desired shape, the correct folding steps will automatically save in memory.
- Making origami into the desired shape can train creativity.
Besides, we improve their creativity through drawing the eyes and mouth of the shark and pasting to form the sailboat and wave of the ocean. These activities are really fun and they really enjoy doing them.