By: Kindergarten Teachers
The importance of art and craft in early education is well-known. Be it making miniature statues from clay or coloring with crayons, folding papers expertly to make origami shapes or preparing a handmade birthday card, there are numerous benefits of art and craft activities.
Also, art and craft activities spike a child’s interest and tap his artistic potential. By introducing your child to art and craft or encouraging him to take it up, you will sow the seeds for his physical, social and cognitive development.
The importance of art and craft in child development can be gauged from the fact it has emotional, physical, cognitive and learning benefits. Here are a few positives of childhood art and craft activities:
Art and craft for physical benefits
- Develops fine motor skills: As most arts and crafts activities involve moving the hands and fingers, they help in developing fine motor skills. Even simple actions like coloring with pencils or holding a paintbrush help to strengthen the muscles and improve their control.
- Increases dexterity: Arts and crafts can increase the agility and dexterity of a child. With practice and improvement of fine motor skills, his manual dexterity, speed and artistic skills will also increase.
- Improves hand-eye coordination: Engaging in arts and crafts-related activities from a very young age leads to tremendous improvement in hand-eye coordination. This will help a child during the later primary-school years when she is forming letters or spacing out words.
- Encourages self-expression: Engaging in a creative pursuit like arts and crafts gives a child the opportunity to express his feelings in a meaningful, tangible and positive way. He also derives satisfaction from making something on his own.
- Helps in socializing: Being together with other children in an art class gives a child the opportunity to interact and socialize with those sharing similar interests. And when parents show an interest in doing the activity with their child, it strengthens the parent-child bond as well.
- Boosts self-esteem: Art and craft-related activities instill a sense of pride and achievement in a child, which helps in boosting his self-esteem.
- Enhances innovation and creative ability: The opportunity to create whatever a child wants to encourage innovation. And the ability to think and solve problems she might face while making something enhances creativity.
- Sharpens decision-making skills: Facing and solving artistic challenges will help a child learn to make effective and correct decisions. This helps to develop a problem-solving attitude, which will also help him in other endeavors of his life.
- Improves visual learning and memory: Through arts and crafts, a child not only learns about new shapes and colors but also becomes aware of different patterns and figures. Activities such as jewelry making or sculpting even require visualizing and memorizing complex designs in the mind.
The various benefits of arts and crafts also extend to the development of cultural awareness and improved academic performance as well. When so many benefits are packaged in arts and crafts, and that too with fun and excitement, why not allow your child to engage in it?
Source: Subramanian, Ananya. Importance of Art and Craft in Early Childhood Education.